A few years ago, for my birthday, my colleagues had brought me a Sponge Cake. Normally sponge cakes contain eggs. Given that I am a vegetarian, they had ordered one specially without eggs. Well, that was the first time ever I had eaten Génoise. I really loved it and since then I had the desire to eat another Eggless Génoise. I did not get any eggless sponge cake to eat until this year for my birthday. This delicious sponge cake was prepared by my fiancee.
I then asked her to share the recipe with me so that I can share it to other friends wishing to enjoy an eggless sponge cake. Today, for the first time in the history of this blog, here I come with a recipe:
Eggless Strawberry Sponge Cake
- Flour – 1½ cup
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1½ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Cooking oil – ½ cup
- Strawberry flavor – 1 tsp
- Sugar – ½ cup or even ¾ cup if you want it a bit sweeter
- Whipping Cream – 2 Cups
- Canned Fruits – 1 small can (optional)
Steps (For the Cake):
- Preheat oven for 10 mins @ 200ºC
- Sieve flour twice and keep aside.
- Cream sugar and yogurt till the sugar has dissolved completely. Add baking powder and baking soda to the mixture and continue whisking for some two minutes. Leave this mixture for about 5 minutes until bubbles are formed.
- Finally add oil, strawberry flavor, then add flour little by little and beat it till the mixture becomes smooth.
- Put the mixture in the preheated oven and let it bake for 10 minutes at 200ºC. Then reduce the temperature to 180ºC and let it bake for around 30-35 minutes.
- Cream 2 cups of whipping cream and if you would like the cream to be sweet enough, add 1 table spoon of sugar and whisk it for about 6-8 minutes till the cream triples in volume.
[notice]Note: For this Cake, two sponge cakes are needed, therefore repeat step 1-5 to make the second birthday cake[/notice]
- In case you will be using canned fruits, pour some syrup on top of one layer of the cake. 2-3 tablespoon of syrup can be used.
- Add the canned fruits or some nuts based on your choice followed by a layer of cream.
- Top the first layer of the cake with the second one and pour some 2-3 tablespoon of syrup again on top of it.
- Cover the whole cake with the whipped cream and garnish according to your choice.
This cake was made for me by a special person with lots of love. I really liked the cake and I am really grateful to that special person who made me a nice cake with such a lovely taste.
This post for the special one. :)